Currently listening to: Patty Griffin-Children Running Through
Today at homeless clinic, I looked for her all afternoon. When it came time to pack up around 5pm, I still hadn't seen her and was very disappointed. I figured I was too obnoxious and reprimanded her too much. But no. When I was finishing up with my last patient, she came bounding up to me, gave me a hug and exclaimed, "I've been clean for a month and 14 days!". She also informed me she's been attending a local church and getting involved in her youth group as well getting her GED. I think it might have been my favorite moment in my nursing student career thus far. It was beautiful. It makes not sleeping during nursing school totally worth it. I think God placed this event in my life to get me through finals. Seriously.
She then expressed her surprise that I actually remembered her. I learned something important tonight. People just want to be heard. That's one of the greatest lessons I've learned from the homeless in Santa Ana. They have no voice, and all they really want is a kind pair of ears to listen to their stories. This girl needed to be validated. She needed to be reprimanded. She needed someone to actually care about the fact that she was on the streets; care enough to tell her to get the hell out.. She needed someone to listen to her struggles with addiction. She needed someone to be excited with her about her sobriety. Because her old group of friends that she used to get high with aren't much help in that department. She needed someone. Period. I'm so thankful God blessed me with the opportunity to be that someone. I may never see her this side of heaven again, but I won't ever forget her. And my interaction with her, although brief, may be at the heart of my nursing practice for the rest of my career.
Grace and peace.
Hillary
No comments:
Post a Comment